Green Smoothies are a type of shake or drink made by blending fruit, such as mango, pears, bananas, berries, kiwis, oranges , nectarines (any fruit really) with raw green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, lettuce, swiss chard, watercress and the like. Water and or ice can be added until the desired consistency is reached.
To balance nutrition and flavour the typical ratio in a green smoothie is about 60% fruit to 40% leafy greens, but it can vary a lot dependent upon personal taste.
A powerful blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtec is definitely recommended for making smoothies, because they can turn out smooth, silky, and delicious smoothies in a matter of minutes. Don’t worry if you don’t have a high powered blender – it will still work and taste as good, it might just take longer to blend and likely you’ll have more bits to chew!
10 good reasons to drink green smoothies
- Green smoothies are packed full of good nutrition. Generally they consist of fruit and leafy greens blended together and nothing else.
- Green smoothies are good for your immune system, since they are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. They are rich in calcium, magnesium and Vitamin C. And they contain carotenoids that may help protect against macular degeneration and foliate to guard against heart disease and cancer.
- Greens provide high-quality, easily-assimilated amino acids providing plenty of protein
- Green smoothies are full of chlorophyll, (which is what gives them the vibrant colour). A molecule of chlorophyll closely resembles a molecule of human blood. This nutrient-rich pigment cleans the body of harmful toxins, oxygenates the blood and helps boost energy levels.
- They are very quick to make (quicker than juicing)
- Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, most of the cells in the greens and fruits are ruptured, making the valuable nutrients easy for the body to assimilate and allowing you to absorb the maximum amount of nutrition from your greens.
- Unlike juices they contain the fibre from the fruit and vegetables and so are absorbed more slowly, keeping you fuller for longer. Fibre is also very necessary for keeping our gut and bowels healthy and in good working order.
- Green smoothies are a very good way of incorporating large amounts of green foods into your diet – far more than you would get by just eating the plain vegetables.
- Green smoothies are often popular with children of all ages and provide a good way of getting fruit and leafy vegetables into their diet.
- Green smoothies are a flexible food; they can be consumed at any time (breakfast, lunch mid-afternoon snack or supper), they are easily portable and will keep for a day or two in the fridge.